Our “Laws & Bagels” seminars combine information on topics of interest to our clients with great food.
Held periodically, our Laws & Bagels seminars feature discussions and workshops that give our clients the tools to help them represent their members.
Past Laws & Bagels seminars have addressed such issues as:
- amendments to the Occupational Health and Safety Act in respect to workplace violence and harassment
- primer on the construction industry raiding season
- what unions should know about shutdowns, bankruptcy and restructuring
- the duty to accommodate
- privacy rights in the workplace
- the fiduciary obligations of pension trustees
- the top ten things unions need to know about criminal law
- amendments to the Ontario Human Rights Code
- the dos and don’ts of organizing
- faculty association seminar (covering a variety of issues of interest to faculty associations)
Seminars developed for your organization
We can also develop and deliver workshops and educational materials designed specifically for your organization. For example, clients have retained us to:
- train their representatives to identify, initiate and process grievances
- train their representatives how to prepare and present the union’s case at interest arbitration
- teach their representatives effective negotiating tactics and strategies
- discuss topics of particular interest to the organization, such as the requirements of Bill 168, the duty of fair representation, the investigation of sexual harassment complaints, last chance agreements, demutualization, grievance arbitration and business law for trade unions.
- advise how to navigate sexual violence policy development following Bill 132”.
We have also trained members of administrative tribunals on a variety of administrative law practice issues, such as running an effective hearing and the requirements of procedural fairness.
If you would like us to develop a workshop or educational materials for your organization, please contact Charlene Wiseman.